David Butt Learning Room – Room Hire Agreement
The learning room is situated on the first floor of the Museum with wonderful views of the River Taw, close to the lift and staircase with two toilets adjacent. The room holds 40 seated (auditorium style) and 30 table seating (meeting room style). As part of our brand new extension the modern and welcoming room includes the use of the following in the ‘room only’ hire:
- 40 chairs and 10 tables
- Projector and wall screen
- Computer and Ipad connection ports
- Induction hearing loop
- Two adjacent unisex toilets
- Kitchen and cutlery
- Tea and Coffee making facilities
- Free social media marketing for your event
Room Setup Options
Auditorium style (40 seated)
Meeting Room style (30 seated)
Room Booking Costs
|Learning Room Cost (per hour and inc. VAT)
|Museum Hours (10am-5pm)
|Out of Hours
All out of hours hire will be staffed by at least one member of Museum staff and includes access to all ‘Museum Hours’ facilities. Access to the main museum galleries will not be permitted out of hours unless agreed with the museum manager.
All stated times must include setting up and exiting times. Please be aware that there could be other groups waiting to use the room after yourselves so please be punctual and leave the room as you found it within your agreed booking times.
Room Booking Form
Room Hire Agreement
This agreement is made between the Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon (the “Museum”) (North Devon District Council) and the ‘Hirer’ named.
The Hirer must name one person as sole contact for the booking, who shall be over 21 years of age, responsible for payment and supervision of the event.
The Museum accepts cash, cheque (made payable to ‘North Devon Council’) or card payment at the Museum. A booking will only be confirmed once this agreement has been signed and 100% of the room hire payment has been processed.
The Museum reserves the right to inspect or cancel a session if we suspect the room is being used for anything other than the intended purpose.
The Hirer is responsible for observing any rules and regulations that refer to the Museum premises such as only assistance dogs are permitted.
The Museum reserves the right to refuse a room hire application without stating a reason.
Cancellation: you may cancel your booking with us up to 48 hours before your stated start date of hire, if you cancel after this time refunds will be at the discretion of the Museum manager. If we decide to cancel your booking we will endeavour to give you 48 hours’ notice, refunding 100% of the hire cost, and providing reasons why.
The Hirer is responsible for the following precautions and guidelines:
- The safety and safeguarding of children, young adults or adults at risk attending a session. All Museum learning staff have undergone a DBS check however the Hirer is responsible for ensuring all children under 16 are accompanied by, or under supervision of, a responsible adult.
- The prohibition of gambling or selling of goods without pre agreement, consumption of alcohol or disorderly behaviour including using profound language. The Hirer is responsible for all behaviour during their hire period and the Museum reserves the right to refuse entry and/or request removal of the Hirer and their group failing these responsibilities.
- The Hirer adheres to the stated entering and exiting times in the agreement and must ensure their group enters and vacates the space promptly. Activity must cease 5 minutes before the stated end time to allow your group to exit properly and our staff to prepare the room for the next group. For out of hours hire the staff will need 15 minutes exit time to secure and vacate the building. Any additional or over running sessions will be charged to the Hirer.
- The Hirer is responsible for insuring any activities undertaken during the hire agreement dates. The Hirer will indemnify the Museum and North Devon Council against any claims for loss, injury or damage whatsoever arising from the use of the room. By signing this form you confirm you provide insurance to that effect.
- The Hirer is responsible for returning the room and all its facilities to their original state. If any damage occurs to the room or its contents the Hirer must report this to the Museum staff as soon as possible. The cost of damaged, destroyed or stolen property will be invoiced to the Hirer.
- If the Hirer is hiring the room for a public or ticketed event they must provide evidence of public liability insurance with a minimum limit of £5 million. The Hirer is also responsible for filling out a risk assessment for their booking. A copy of your risk assessment will be needed alongside this agreement. North Devon Council supplies a risk assessment template with guidance notes here: https://www.northdevon.gov.uk/business/licences-and-permits/events-on-council-land/
The Museum gives no warranty that the room possesses the necessary consents or is physically fit for the Hirer’s proposed use and in this regard the Hirer acknowledges that it does not rely on, and shall have no remedies in respect of, any representation or warranty (whether made innocently or negligently) that have been made by or on behalf of the Museum before the date of this Room Hire Agreement.
The Museum is not liable for any losses, claims, demands, actions, proceedings, damages, costs or expenses or other liability incurred by the Hirer or the Hirer’s employees, customers or other invitees to the hired room. However this shall not limit or exclude the Museum’s liability for any matter in respect of which it would be unlawful for the Museum to exclude or restrict liability.
If you are in agreement with these terms please tick the check box ‘I agree to Room Hire Agreement Terms and Conditions as detailed below’ in the above Room Booking Form. By ticking this box and submitting the form you are confirming you have read and agree with the room hire agreement and supplied a copy of your public liability insurance and risk assessment form (if applicable).